Thursday, October 14, 2010

Gray is the new blonde....


A couple of months ago, I was contacted by a a former high school classmate ( thank you, Facebook!), a beautiful raven haired girl, who told me she had decided to stop coloring her hair. Apparently the women in her family go gray at a very young age and she had been covering hers since her early 20's. As her new color was emerging, her old makeup colors just weren't working. She asked for some help in choosing a new palette.
First, I asked her to send me a picture of herself with the new hair color and no makeup.I took into account her coloring ( hazel eyes, medium skin tone and her natural, pre-gray hair color which was a very dark brown). I then put a face map together with the colors and brand names that I used. I chose a dark plum shadow in the crease and outer corners and a soft black kohl liner lightly smudged, a matte beige shadow on the lid, and a soft taupe shadow applied with a brush to her brows. I finished with peach blush and a peach lipstick used with a liner in the same color. As we age, more color is needed- everything starts to fade. However, it's very easy to overdo. It's important that we define the lips with liner. The same goes for lining the eyes. That doesn't mean it has to be a thick, liquid line, just enough to give them definition.